What is Digital Learning?Admin
This is the age of technology, therefore, it is no surprise that this technology is also being used to educate students. Digital learning is not exactly a new concept, but is also neither a very old one. It is basically the use of technological means to effectively teach students and enhance their learning experience. It is a deeper learning experience as the student makes the effort of understanding the concepts himself. Moreover, interactive applications in digital learning have a significant impact on them. Following are the pros and cons of digital learning on students and education.
Positive impacts of Digital Learning
- Choosing own style: Digital learning helps a student to learn in a style that best suits him. For example, if he is unable to understand through theory, he can use interactive programs to get a better understanding of the concept.
- Ability to learn anytime: Thanks to the internet and the modern technology, students can now access study material on their laptops at any time and from anywhere. As a result, the students are not restricted to learning only during the school hours.
- Boosting achievement: Research has shown that students who have access to digital learning and who make good use of it, tend to perform well in their papers.
- Improving concepts: Blended learning tools are very helpful in making the concept understandable. Students are better able to comprehend problems.
- Enhancing creativity: Not all students are able to perform well by solely relying on course books. For them, it is important to utilize their creative side. For this matter, digital learning is the best option.
- Increased engagement: It is true that interactive programs and strategies are engaging for students. They are able to develop an interest in them, helping them to learn voluntarily and more effectively.
Negative impacts of Digital Learning
- A distraction? Digital learning can become a bit of a distraction at times. Sometimes, the student begins to spend more time on it than he should. At times, he completely loses interest in his course books and classroom lecture. This way, he is bound to miss out on important stuff.
- An expensive idea: Not everyone can afford to buy electronics for studying. Laptops, smart phones, etc. are quite expensive and therefore cannot be afforded by everyone.
- Missing out on the real stuff: Lack of face-to-face interactions with the teachers and classmates is not a healthy move. It is important to remember that not all education can be received through digital learning. Class lectures and discussions are important learning processes. The bond of a teacher and pupil is very important for a positive learning experience.
As seen above, digital learning has two sides to it: pros and cons. It can be concluded that it is essential that traditional teaching methods are carried out hand in hand with digital learning. Furthermore, it is of utmost importance that during digital learning, the student does not get distracted to other sites like game sites or social media sites, otherwise the student will be unable to focus on his studies.